top of page
  • How did I get epilepsy?
    There are many causes of epilepsy. Click here to learn about common causes of epilepsy. This is also a good question to ask your neurologist.
  • What is the difference between epilepsy & seizure disorder?
    The only difference between the two is the name. They are the same. Some folks like to say they have epilepsy, while others like the term seizure disorder.
  • Do employers hire people with epilepsy?
    Epilepsy is a disability covered under the ADA. It is illegal not to hire or to fire someone based on their disability. Employers also have to make reasonable accommodations for the person with epilepsy to do their job. Here is a link for more information:
  • What CAN'T I do now that I have epilepsy?
    As long as your seizures are under control and you talk to your doctor about it first, you can do most anything! People with epilepsy are encouraged to be active (exercise, play sports, garden, etc). If you have epilepsy, you can go into almost any career you like! There are people with epilepsy who are doctors, lawyers, teachers, business owners, etc. People with epilepsy have families and live long productive lives and sometimes even drive. There is very little that most people with epilepsy can’t do!
  • Is epilepsy a lifelong condition?
    For most people with epilepsy, this is a lifelong condition. However, most folks with epilepsy find treatment that helps keep seizures away. Find out more here:
  • Can I drive if I have epilepsy?
    According to the Delaware DMV: Any person who is subject to loss of consciousness due to disease of the central nervous system will not be issued a Delaware driver license unless the Division receives a certificate report from the person's treating physician stating that such person’s physical disability is under sufficient control to permit him/her to safely operate a motor vehicle. The certifying physician must have been treating the person for a minimum of three months for loss of consciousness. Any person licensed to operate a motor vehicle on the basis of this certificate/report will be required to furnish the Division with a new certificate every year no later than the last day of the person's birthday month. As long as you are seizure free (determined by your doctor) and you turn in the appropriate paperwork to the DMV in the allotted time frame, you can drive in Delaware. If you have a seizure, you will need to give up your license for 3-6 months to make sure you are safe to drive again.
  • Help & tips for those struggling in school due to epilepsy.
    Many students with epilepsy may not experience learning related concerns and may need to have a 504 plan in place. This is for medical accommodations, like giving the student time to rest after the seizure. Some students with epilepsy struggle with memory or processing issues may benefit from an IEP (Individualized Education Program). This can enable the student to have accommodations such as untimed tests or requiring information to be written down. EFDE can help answer any questions you may have about this process, so give us a call or send an email! Here is a good website for an example of a student who has an IEP: You can also get support through to navigate the school accommodation process.
  • Is epilepsy a disability?
    Epilepsy is a disability in that it is covered under the ADA (see above) which provides certain protections for people with epilepsy. It does not mean that people with epilepsy can’t live full, rewarding, happy lives!
  • Can person with epilepsy have a successful career?
    Yes! People with epilepsy can have a career in almost any line of work they choose!
  • Do I need to tell my boss that I have epilepsy?
    You do not need to disclose that you have epilepsy, that is up to you. You are legally allowed to ask for reasonable accommodations in your job. Here is a website with more information: Contact us if you would like to discuss further!
  • Can I live by myself (DVR, Paratransit)?
    Many people with epilepsy live by themselves, especially if their seizures are under control. There are also seizure detection devices that can alert a loved one if you have a seizure. Embrace by empatica is a good option: Some folks also use an apple watch app. If you can’t drive, you can utilize Paratransit or regular DART bus service to get around: If you are not sure where to start, you may try Delaware Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and they can help you with job readiness which can help you financially support yourself:
  • Do you help with housing?
    We can direct you to resources that can help. This can help with rent or housing help: Contact us to discuss further and get more resources.
  • Do you help with food?
    We can direct you to resources that can help. The Food Bank of Delaware is a great resource: Contact us to discuss further and get more resources.
  • Are there programs for my family, friends, co-workers understand epilepsy?
    Seizure First Aid Certification is a great way for family, friends and co-workers to learn about the basics of epilepsy and how to help someone have a seizure. Contact Val to set up a private training in person or via zoom:
  • What is Meet & Greet?
    Meet and Greet is what we call our support groups. They are held twice monthly. We are holding them via zoom and some in person. Sometimes we have a targeted group for our meet and greets (like young adults), but mostly they are open to everyone who has epilepsy or is a caregiver/advocate. Many times, we have a guest speaker for the first half hour to educate us on a certain epilepsy related topic.
  • How I can connect with other people living with epilepsy?
    Join our Meet and Greet Support groups, attend our 5ks or other events, advocate during our Legislative Luncheon, register for our self management groups and more!
  • Are there seizure dogs to alert when a seizure is about to start?
    Yes, there are different abilities that some dogs have to either predict when a seizure is going to occur or respond to someone who is having a seizure. There are many things to consider when researching this topic. Here is a good place to start:
  • What is Seizure First Aid Certification?
    Seizure First Aid (SFA) Certification is a 75 minute course designed to teach anyone how to help someone who is having a seizure. It is similar to a CPR certification in that there is a pre test and post test and those who pass receive a certificate good for two years! This course is great for early childhood educators, teachers, workplaces or any group that wants to be certified. You can go to this link to take the course on demand or sign up for a scheduled national zoom: Or, you can email Val ( to set up your private zoom or in person course that meets your groups name.
  • What is the cost of Seizure First Aid Certification?
    Seizure First Aid Certification is free!
  • Is there a certain doctor to see for epilepsy?
    Yes! You should see a neurologist who is a doctor who specializes in the nervous system and brain. There are also neurologists who specialize just in epilepsy and that is called an epileptologist.
  • Is there any help for the cost of medication?
    Yes! If you are taking a name brand medication, check with the pharmaceutical company for a patient savings program. Sometimes you can get a discount or no cost medication. You could also try for coupons and to see which pharmacy near you has the cheapest medication. You can always contact Val at EFDE at vbudischak(at) or 302-999-9313 to help navigate these options and to ask about our medication assistance program called Yara’s Fund.
  • Are there any treatments besides medication?
    Yes, there are other treatments. There are implanted devices, dietary therapies and surgeries that may help with refractory epilepsy (seizures that don’t stop with medication). This is a great question for your neurologist or epileptologist.
bottom of page